Tue, 29 Oct|
Holy Trinity Primary School
Writing Conferences: The Foundation of Assessment
Conferencing is the way to reach the individual writers within your classroom and gather rich assessment and planning data. Join us to find out why and how it works.
Time & Location
29 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Holy Trinity Primary School, 18 Theodore St, Curtin ACT 2605, Australia
About the Event
Gone are the days of collecting writing and marking it with a red pen! Young writers need to talk to you, a fellow writer, while they are in the process of writing. That's the conversation that happens in a writing conference.
In this workshop, we will:
- observe a writing conference and identify its features
- build knowledge of writing fluency and stamina, and examine the interplay between these aspects and conferencing
- understand how to create a climate for conferencing in your classroom
- rehearse the predictable routine and structure of a writing conference
- get ideas for WHAT we can teach within a conference, thinking about the qualities of great writing
- practice, practice and practice some more
- look at a fool-proof, easy way to keep records that build rich data about your class and the writers within it
Teachers will leave with a plan to implement conferencing, having considered their own knowledge, their classroom setting, and their students.